Age should never be a barrier to keep playing the game you love. There are plenty of opportunities to keep playing, even at international level.
So what is Maxibasketball?
This is a growing movement for male and female players aged 35 years and over, with international competition categories rising incrementally by 5 years, so over 35s, 40s, 45s, 50s and so on. There are European and World Championships promoted every alternate year by the Federation of International Basketball (FIMBA).
Team GB Maxibasketball
- Established in September 2018 to prepare first ever GB teams to compete at a World Maxibasketball Championship.
- High performance programme – players selected are predominantly ex-international, professional or national league level, although anyone is welcome to train.
- Training is monthly and year round (breaking usually in August and September)
- Two female teams (F40+ and F50+) competed at the FIMBA World Championships 2019, with the F50+ achieving 4th place (from 22 teams)
- The GB programme has since expanded and will prepare male and female squads for future European and World Championships
Wales have a few male players involved in Team GB Maxibasketball but we would love to see more.
Currently involved are:
- Edris Kizito
- Nikolay Bakrachev
- Anthony Berry
- Daniel Graves
What is the selection process?
Interested players register to attend central venue squad training camps with coaches, and GB teams are usually selected six months before a major championship event.
In the interests of public health, Team GB Maxis have not trained together during the current lock down period. Their preparation programme is expected to resume in the spring initially at the National Basketball Performance Centre, Manchester, and in line with current guidelines for elite players.
By then it is hoped that lock down is eased in Wales so that players will be able to travel.
There are also numerous other social masters basketball events around Europe, notably Croatia, England (GB Masters), Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Scotland, Serbia and Spain, to name a few. Participants are typically club teams, or select teams.
Any players, coaches or sports science and medicine staff interested in the GB Maxi Basketball programme can contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Any Welsh players that are interested please email email@example.com